Sunday, February 3, 2008

Chess Training Tips-Memorise a few GM Games

Chess Training Tips-Memorise a few GM Games
Memorize ideally 10 to 25 Master Games
I was talking to a former student about a month ago. He reminded me of a lecture I gave in Atlanta many years ago. I challenged the group there to memorize 25 GM games. Three out of this group did ... today all three are Masters.
A few years ago, I talked to one young man (from MS) who had been an Expert for two years. I challenged him to do this one thing. He did, and less than a year later he had his master's certificate. In fact - to be honest - I know of not one single person who has done this one thing ... and not broken into Master territory! While there is NO magic bullet , this one thing may come as close as any other I know of. Try it. Especially if you have been close to master level and nothing else has worked. (Maybe it works by making neurons connect in the brain?)
Post-script: In the very short amount of time that this has been posted, several things have happened. A fellow on chess-dot-net confirmed to me that several other Masters also advise you to try to memorize as many chess games as you can. And about 3 or 4 of my former students sent me e-mails. One is a Master today. And he remembers being stuck in a rut - he was an Expert for close to 3 years. I gave him 5 books to buy, put him on a chess training regime, and several other things as well. But the main thing he remembers was that I challenged him to memorize 50-to-100 GM games. He never got beyond 35, but almost immediately, he went over Master himself.
I would say, make a detailed list. What are your favorite games? Do you like long games or short ones? Who are your favorite players? Which openings are you trying to learn? Who are your favorite players? etc. After you have written all this down, the 25 games you pick should become easier. It helps to if you give each game a theme (See Chernev's book on The Most Instructive Games of Chess ever Played for a few examples.) Stuff like: Cool K-side attack or a nice central break-through
By now you should be getting the idea. It helps too if you try to give each move an idea. Just memorizing the moves without any attempt to understand the process defeats the entire purpose.




13 comments:

Malaysian Grandmaster said...

Klik untuk beri sokongan untuk Mas jadi GM!!

Serendipity said...

Great work.

Anonymous said...

nice read. I would love to follow you on twitter.

A.J. Goldsby I said...

STOP, thief!!!!!

This scumbag has done nothing more than copy my pages. He needs to be stopped, stealing someone else's work is just wrong.

A.J. Goldsby I said...

See my original work on my biggest and best known website. Originally, I was on GeoCities, but they closed GC a few years back. (2009?)

The new location for this website is:

http://www.ajschess.com/lifemasteraj/index.html (See my "Training Page.")

Anonymous said...

this ia a.j. goldbsys work

Anonymous said...

This is the work of A J Goldsby - and you know it. You don't have students, you don't go to Atlanta. Please stop copying his work

by Weary Willy

A.J. Goldsby I said...

IF you are a believer in the Koran, you cannot steal ... it is forbidden.

Anonymous said...

Apparently, these people do not know how to create anything themselves. Their kind is only good at stealing, telling lies, abusing women and starting wars.

A.J. Goldsby I said...

In your e-mail, (Jan, 2013); you promised to remove all of this content ... why has this not been done yet?

A.J. Goldsby I said...

It still appears that you are a thief and a liar ... you post my work, and seem to be taking credit for it and even ask for donations to your blog.

A.J. Goldsby I said...

You said - in your second email to me - that you would alter the blog so it would become obvious that I am the orginal writer.

I WOULD PREFER THAT YOU SIMPLY DELETE ALL OF THIS MATERAL!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I thought this material sounded familiar.

Is it possible to take legal action against this person? I don't know how plagiarism works on the Internet and internationally.

I will check out A.J. Goldsby's site now.